Re: Why Design Principles?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 19:34:04 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> Ian and Anne both suggested that I should add most of this justification to
> the Design Principles document itself. I will likely replace the current
> abstract and introduction with something based on this email. I suggest that
> those with an interest in the Design Principles should voice their
> objections to this plan.
>
> There are also some suggested additions and removals of principles at the
> end.

I would love it if we had a design principle that described the fact
that we're writing the spec to support the authors that tests their
pages by running them in a browser, rather than by checking that they
comply with the spec.

See a more detailed description in [1], but the short of it is that we
are generally avoiding leaving things explicitly or implicitly
undefined and hoping that authors won't rely on it. Instead we are
trying to define things in great detail to increase the chances that a
HTML document that works in one complying HTML UA, will also work in
another.

/ Jonas

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0167.html