Re: Why Design Principles?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:51:47 +0000 (UTC)
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > Larry wrote:
> > < In 2007, an agreement was reached between WHATWG and W3C to
> > < work together on HTML, starting from the WHATWG document already
> > < under development. The W3C HTML was formed.
>
> That sequence of events is not chronologically accurate. The W3C HTML WG
> was planned largely without formal input from the WHAT WG.

Actually this is an understatement. The W3C at no time contacted the
WHATWG, and did not contact me until I had sent unsolicited input -- and
even then, the contact was in the form of unofficial back-channel
questions. I don't think the W3C ever officially acknowledged the
existence of the WHATWG until the charter was published.

(Furthermore, many parts of my feedback were ignored; for instance, the
timeline I put forward, which so far has proved quite accurate, was
ignored in favour of a fantasy that would have us in CR right now (!)).