Re: feedback on 4.10.4.2.8 The pattern attribute

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 20:05:51 +0000 (UTC)
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, jgraham@opera.com, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> feedback on 4.10.4.2.8 The pattern attribute
>
> "When an input element has a pattern attribute specified, authors should
> include a title attribute to give a description of the pattern. User
> agents may use the contents of this attribute, if it is present, when
> informing the user that the pattern is not matched, or at any other
> suitable time, such as in a tooltip or read out by assistive technology
> when the control gains focus."
>
> This behaviour is not implemented in AT. The announcement of the title
> attribute content is dependent on a range of factors including whether
> the input an associated label and how the user has configured thier AT.
>
> "When a control has a pattern attribute, the title attribute, if used,
> must describe the pattern. Additional information could also be
> included, so long as it assists the user in filling in the control.
> Otherwise, assistive technology would be impaired."
>
> It is suggested that assistive technology users will be be impaired by
> this author conformance requirement, as it does not reflect implemented
> behaviour.
>
> This requirement implicitly recommends the use of the title attribute to
> provide error advice, this information would not be accessible to
> keyboard only users as no browsers implement title attribute display via
> the keyboard.
>
> It is therefore suggested that the author conformance requirements and
> references to AT be removed or replaced with advice that makes sense in
> terms of AT behaviour.

That the value here is not shown currently is in fact a positive; the idea
here is that the value would be shown in a message to the user only after
the control fails validation.

Indeed, lack of support from ATs at this point isn't a problem, since the
ATs similarly don't support the pattern="" attribute as well -- when they
support the latter, they can add support for the former at the same time.

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> i suggest providing the information in text, as content of the input's
> associated label element.

I agree that this would be good too, but the use case here is providing
text that will be shown to the user when performing validation.