Re: image width & height, summary

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:

> The fact that some high-profile site made an assumption,
> ("all images are available at load time") and some other
> site made a different assumption ("there is no limit to
> the number of images on a page, because only the visible
> segment of the page images are cached or guaranteed to
> be loaded") and it's impossible to build a browser that
> always satisfies both sets of assumptions, even though
> both sets of assumptions are true *most* of the time  --
> what's the design  principle for deciding who wins?
> High-profile sites assumptions are more valuable?

It's very possible to build a browser that satisfies both of those
assumptions except in low-memory situations.

If a conforming Web site is only allowed to make assumptions that can be
guaranteed in arbitrary low-memory situations, it won't be able to do
anything.

This would allow careful authors and authoring tools to create
> robust code that does not rely unnecessarily on assumptions
> that are difficult to ensure, while the algorithmic description
> provides guidance on how to implement something that doesn't
> "break" current pages, or those written with incorrect
> assumptions, while allowing more vendor flexibility.

Since careful authors and authoring tools are in the minority, the vendor
flexibility you seek does not exist. Treating these interoperability details
as non-normative provides no benefit to vendors, or anyone else. And it has
costs: work for spec authors wrangling over what should or shouldn't be
normative, and work for Web authors as they try to understand and avoid
non-normative assumptions.

Rob
53:5-6]