Re: Auto-detect and encodings in HTML5

On 2 Jun 2009, at 17:17, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> The question is how to actually bring this into the draft. It has to
> be more than a half hearted recommendation. It should be more in the
> direction of how utf-8/-16 is the default for XML - a conformance
> requirement.

One possibility would be to just say something like, "conforming
documents MUST be encoded as UTF-8 and declare themselves to be so".

The biggest problem I see with that is that from an RFC 2119 point of
view using UTF-8 isn't required for interoperability (for a start, UAs
are required to support Windows-1252 as well).

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>