Re: Updating the IRI spec to include "web addresses"

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:26:45 +0200
To: "Larry Masinter" <masinter@adobe.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-iri@w3.org" <public-iri@w3.org>
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 04:06:06 +0200, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
wrote:
> I've found it convenient to use "HRef" as a shorthand
> in the document.
>
> What I'm not sure of is whether I can get away with
> just *replacing* the IRI -> URI algorithm, or if
> I should leave both HRef -> URI and IRI -> URI.

I would personally strongly favor replacing the IRI to URI mapping as that
keeps overall complexity the lowest`and the specification simple.

> Right now, the HTML5/"Web Address" draft is written as
> "how to parse" and "how to resolve relative to absolute".
>
> I'm not sure if it's possible to recast it as
> HRef => URI, but it's certainly worth a try.

That is sort of what the HTML5 specification is doing now, though maybe
not in a way you prefer.

As long as it defines the same thing and is usable for XMLHttpRequest,
CSS, etc. as well I think everything is fine.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/