Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-07-30

> this appears to be a matter upon which a formal vote will be
> required.

I would expect any differences from what is now up there as ED would
be published separately for simple review. If the branches and leaves
are approved, then the new content replaces content in the main branch
maintained by the existing editors. Hopefully we will not try to
publish another couple of complete new spec(s) because of a few
changes from what is there now.

So, as a fairly active reviewer, I want to the the same stuff I have
been looking at plus if the revision is significant, then the changes
are made using a process that offers the update, approves it, then
replaces the old content with the new content without harm to
unchanged stuff. In other words, I think if I wanted to change
something significant, I would need to get the revision working and
accepted before placing it into the Editor's Draft document.

Just from simple and complicated past experiences, if, for example,
paragraphs and art for 6, say, is part of the current editors draft
and those paragraphs are not part of the new content, I don't want to
look at the old comtnet mixed in with the new. I just want to review
the new content. Then when the new material is approved, it gets mixed
into the official draft. I'm sure there are all kinds magical tools
for keeping all the pieces making sense in full fidelity, but please
let's not have three or four complete ED specs floating around having
duplicated or only slightly altered branches.

Another example: If the new RDFn content is proposed to replace mf
stuff that is in the editor's draft, then I want to see the
replacement words, art, and layout all by itself working and reviewed
and accepted before committing them into the current official ED under
the careful scrutiny of the existing 'official' named editors and us
all.

So, potentially several votes:
accept the need to change something
accept the proposed changes
accept the updated ED.

So after the need is accepted (vote to accept the need to change),
then a first step is just to publish the keystrokes on this list, or
somewhere standalone so this WG and maybe other interested parties can
see it. When this WG is happy (vote to accept changes) then it is
incorporatated into the 'official' draft. Then if the update is
significant, I think we should have a special vote to accept the new
version (accept the updated ED) which then becomes the official public
version.

Thank You and Best Regards,
Joe