Re: Discussion: Accessibility Issues Procedure

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, Shelley Powers wrote:

> Ian is fully aware of the issues, reasons, and so on. If he isn't I
> suggest he spend time searching on @summary in these lists.

Maybe I missed an important e-mail. Could you point me to the e-mail that
shows the reasoning and data behind the idea that including and continuing
to encourage authors to use the summary="" attribute would improve overall
accessibility of the Web beyond the status quo?

The position argued, in detail, with data [1] to support the current text
in the specification is that encouraging the summary="" attribute to be
used actually harms the overall accessibility of the Web. To my knowledge,
nobody has provided a sound counter-argument to this. If I have missed
such a counter-argument, please send me a link. The e-mail cited above
includes explicit statements regarding the kind of data and explanations
that would lead to a substantial change in the document I am editing.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jul/0148.html