Re: Haskell and W3C specs

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:

> There are a number of projects in Haskell targeting Web application
> development. One piece missing is an IDL conversion tool. I am taking
> care of this.

Could you explain why an IDL conversion tool is useful here?

> One is missing interfaces for some HTML tags that I have brought up
> here. Another is inconsistent naming of tags and interfaces, see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2009JulSep/0008.html.

How would this handle arbitrary XML, where every element uses the
interface "Element"? Why is HTML different?

> These two things are needed just for consistency, and for convenience of
> automated IDL bindings derivation with proper type information. With
> Haskell used to generate client-side Javascript, IDL interface type
> information matters only at compile time, and mostly disappears at
> runtime.

Could you elaborate on this? I don't understand what you mean.

> So, if this is not the W3C position to officially supplement the
> existing specification with the information I am talking about, it can
> be taken care of at the each tool implementor's side. But if the
> position is to provide these missing pieces, I am sure developers of IDL
> implementations in any language would benefit from that.

I don't understand the use case, so I've no idea whether what you're doing
even makes sense or not, let alone if we should be worrying about it. :-)