Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of "predefined vocabularies" with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section "predefined vocabularies"

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Whether it is specified within the same document or in a separate
>>> document to which HTML5 normatively refers doesn't seem to make any
>>> difference to the complexity of the platform. I don't understand the
>>> desire to exchange fewer larger documents for more smaller documents.
>> Indeed. However I didn't suggest that HTML5 should refer to it at all.
>> Problem gone.
>
> We can't remove the referene to the predefined vocabularies, since they're
> a core part of the drag-and-drop model. That is in fact a key part to
> solving a number of the use cases.

Since generic microdata is already exposed to the drag and drop model it
seems that we could remove the predefined vocabularies by dropping
special drag and drop magic for these types and leaving it up to script
authors to convert from the generic microdata form to the canonical
format. Since script libraries tend to have short release cycles
compared to browsers, it seems like the approach of getting browser
vendors to write the essential platform-level building blocks and script
authors to do the higher level data transformations could lead to a
better end result than trying to do too much at the platform level.