Re: Proposal: @parsing="loose | strict"

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> This is in fact what I am proposing. Let Web browser have the option of
> switching to "authoring device" mode.

In that case, why does the web page need anything in it at all?  If web
  browsers want to ship a strict non-default parser mode, that's fine.
They can just do that.  No need to annotate pages to use it.

> I suppose you meant that a "CSS property alone wouldn't work". However,
> by CSS, I did not mean only a CSS property, but also a new CSS/HTML
> media device type (I did not mean a "MIME type"). The media type that we
> target via the CSS selector '@media' or the HTML media attribute.

What's the point of the media type here?

> The thing is that a media device of course treats the whole page in a
> certain way. This is programmed into the device before it starts reading
> the page. Thus, the device also has some predefined CSS properties.

Not sure what you mean by that, exactly...

> If we had a "authoring device" media type (or a "authoring mode" sub
> media type), then we could have a default
>
>     @media authoring{parsing:strict}
>
> for those devices/modes. If UAs could /switch/ their media mode, then
> authors could also, with the touch of a button (which I think you
> proposed, anyway), see the page in "authoring mode".

This has nothing to do with CSS or media, though.

> As a CSS property it would of course also be possible (for security or
> other reason) to use
>
>  @media all {parsing:strict}

I'm not clear on how you think this would work.  Care to explain?

-Boris