Re: Proposal: @parsing="loose | strict"

Doug Schepers wrote:
> To meet this need, I propose a new attribute, 'parsing', which, when
> placed on the document root, defines the type of parsing which a UA must
> use when parsing the document.  The values would be "loose" and
> "strict", with loose parsing as the default (an omitted @parsing
> attribute would result in loose parsing).
> and very little implementation cost, since browsers will already have both modes

Is the proposal actually to parse part of the document (with which
parser?), then switch to an XML parser in some cases?  Or something else?

If that's the proposal, how is that better than the existing ability to
select the XML parser using the MIME type?  It seems strictly more
difficult from an implementation standpoint (very very complex to
specify and implement, in fact), and the XHTML MIME type is
well-enough-supported by servers that I have a hard time believing that
someone who wants to send data with that type can't.

If that's not the proposal, then we are in fact proposing a third
parsing mode, sounds like (with corresponding spec and implementation
complexity).  This might be worth it, but I just want us to be clear on
the costs.

-Boris