Re: <nav> Element

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Matt Gladwish wrote:

> I'm confused about the <nav> element example found on the HTML5 working
> draft.. Can this element be embedded in tags such as the <header> tag..
>
> <header>
> <nav>
> </nav>
> </header>
>
> <nav>
> </nav>
>
> <footer>
> <nav>
> </nav>
> </footer>

Per the current spec, it's allowed in <header>, but not in <footer>.
Those two elements are not symmetric. The <footer> element is intended
just for a page footer, not for appendices and the like. If you have so
many navigation links going on in the footer that you feel it should have
subsection of the parent section at that point, not a footer.

<nav> is basically equivalent to <section> in terms of document structure,
and <footer> is basically equivalent to a group of <p>s that apply
specifically to the current section. So, e.g. a <nav> might contain a
<footer>, rather than vice versa.