Re: Request for advice on <canvas> accessibility

hi Ian,
>I've now done that; thanks for the advice. Is this really all that needs
 >to be done?

I would further suggest you could break the tables into years and provide
column headers. also you will need to place the table outside of the canvas
element, as currently (and for the foreseeable future) fallback inside the
canvas element is not exposed to AT in browsers that support canvas.

Providing a mechanism via the canvas API to automatically output the HTML
rather than having to develop a bolt-on generaion method would be an
improvement.

>It's what the HTML5 spec recommends today,

Which is why you chose the example.
In the simple case where canvas is used to generate a static image the best
solution may be the unfortunate bolt on option. a canvas API that generates
such HTML content  from inputted data  would make it much more likely that
such bolt-on fallback is provided.

>To be honest I think that the accessibility expertise of the WAI group is
 >far more important here than what little HTML engineering expertise I and
 >others may have. In this particular instance

You really sell yourself short Ian, IMHO your knowledge and understanding of
accessibility to be on par or greater than many of the so called experts
(including myself), and IMHO your HTML engineering expertise far exceeds any
of those people involved in the WAI groups, that I know of (including
myself). So IMHO and in conversations with the people you ccd on the email,
it is agreed we really need you to lead the development of an improved
canvas API, but of course we will help where we can.

> The example i posted yesterday http://tools.mozilla.com/ is not a demo
> and provides another example of a canvas containing interactive
> elements.

What can we provide to make this more accessible as is, without resorting
to the bolt-on fallback page?

ability to navigate and interact with the canvas content using the keyboard.
expose the name/role/states of interactive elements in the canvas to
accessibilty APIs

regards
stevef

with regards