Re: another example of HTMl 5 canvas with interactive UI elements.

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 00:50:56 +0200
To: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie
Cc: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Joshue O Connor wrote:
> This kind of thing seems to me a ridiculous level of complexity and a
> retrograde step in web development.

Rather than simply rejecting the idea outright, could you elaborate on
specifically what was wrong with the techniques I described?  Or, better
yet, could you suggest a simpler approach that provides for such a wide
range of accessibility issues, including keybaord navigation and various
forms of assistive technoloy, while still working seamlessly alongside
the existing mouse based interaction and providing a reasonable level of
backwards compatibility?

Ignoring the fact that this particular example is, as Maciej pointed
out, probably better implemented using alternative techniques that don't
involve canvas, the challenge I attempted to address was to make that
particular use of canvas accessible in a way that retained the same
functionality and support for the existing user interaction, using a
backwards compatible technique that could conceivably be applied to
other interactive uses of canvas as well.  If there is something else
that can achieve this, I would be very interested to know what.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/