Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Shelley Powers wrote:

> All due respect to Joshue, since he was the one tasked with creating the
> vote question (with PF), the text for this vote loads the deck against
> summary by tying it directly to HTML 4, while highlighting that your
> choice is already in the HTML 5 specification.
>
> Each should be given as recommended text, and spelled out in the vote.
> Bring out the specification text, as recommended by PF, for summary,
> list with the text extracted from the HTML 5 document (which shouldn't
> have been added until after the vote, to be fair), and then allow both
> to be voted on by their merits.

The actual text in the HTML5 specification is pages long and split across
multiple sections, so I don't think it's practical to include the actual
text with the vote. Also, I would not want the vote to lock us into
specific text, since we should still be able to improve the text further
in the future. It is merely the approach that matters, IMHO.

Having said that, the proposed vote text does point to the most important
section in HTML5 about this.

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Joshue O Connor wrote:

> Those suggestions are reasonable. Noted.

Joshue, so as to avoid the appearance of steamrolling you on this, I'd
like to suggest that you provide the next iteration of the proposal, if
you think we should take into account Shelley and Lachlan's comments
above. If you can propose something before about 1am PDT Thursday (0800
UTC), I should have time to comment before Sam's deadline.