Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

From: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 12:27:36 +0100
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org
Hi Sam,
I was talking about the WCAG 2.0 techniques, technology specific ways to
meet the WCAG 2.0 criteria are in the techniques documents.

*1.3.1 Info and Relationships:* Information,
and relationships<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#relationshipsdef>conveyed
be programmatically
are available in text. (Level A)

references > Sufficient Techniques for 1.3.1 - Info and Relationships

lists > H73: Using the summary attribute of the table element to give an
overview of data tables
It would be inconsistent if use of the technique is encouraged by WCAG 2.0
 for all other flavours of HTML but discouraged for HTML5.

2009/7/8 Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

> Steven Faulkner wrote:
>> Hi maciej,
>> I am concerned that if the current wording of the spec is accepted we have
>> a situation where one W3C specification - WCAG 2.0  encourages the use of
>> the summary attribute, while the W3C html 5 specification discourages it.
> I've done a quick search, I can't find the text you mentioned:
> $ curl -s http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ | grep summary | wc -l
> 0
> For my part, if the HTML WG and WAI could reach a mutual stance on this,
>> then consensus within the HTML WG would have a better chance of being
>> reached without the need for a vote.
> +1
> I will note that I would not consider it to be a problem if HTML 5 were
> consistent with the future direction WCAG 2.0 successors are intending to
> take, as opposed to what might be stated today.  I mean that in the same
> sense that HTML 5 has a (select few, intentional) differences from HTML 4.
> regards
>> stevef
> - Sam Ruby

with regards