Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
> It's not popularity among people on this list that matters. It's
> popularity with the greater world that does.

Right. This issue has caused more new people to post to the mailing lists,
to talk about this on forums, to talk about this on news sites, to blog,
to comment on blogs, etc, than any other single feature in HTML5.

> So on one hand you are arguing that it doesn't matter what's in the
> spec, it only matters what implementations do.

I'm arguing that it does matter what's in the spec, insofar that it should
match what implementations do.

> People pay a lot of attention to the spec as an indicator for future
> directions of the web.

That's why the spec shouldn't lie about what the future direction is.
Right now, the future direction is "we don't know". Theora is already
popular, putting "Theora is the future" in the spec won't affect that.