Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> > I don't think the spec will have any effect on Theora's popularity. In
> > fact, Theora is probably already more popular than anything else in
> > the spec, if we go by volume of e-mail sent per topic. Nothing else in
> > the spec has resulted in this much media attention.
>
> Volume of e-mail generated where?

My inbox, either from public-html or whatwg, or from Google alerts and
BackTalk alerts, or in direct e-mail to me, etc.

> And do you not think the fact that Theora was being considered for HTML
> 5 was an important reason for the media attention?

It wasn't mentioned in the media and forums and so froth until the spec
_didn't_ require Theora. The media and public attention hasn't been
"Theora might be something to look at, HTML5 might require it", it has
been "Theora is the way forward, oh my God why is HTML5 not requiring it".