Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Jul 6, 2009, at 14:58 , Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> I'm suggesting we make Theora the base codec endorsed by W3C and
>> HTML.
>> But leave Apple, and anyone else, free to implement additional codecs
>> such as H.264.
>
> I support this position. This is what the HTML5 draft stated when the
> <video> element was introduced. Bringing it back would heal the
> community and improve interoperability.

Agreed. The decision to remove this was made too early, and on
insufficient grounds. This is too important an aspect to be eliminated
without further consideration.

Consensus is not unanimity, not even unanimity of major implementers.
It is the position that produces the least dissent. I feel confident
from following this discussion that keeping the codecs section
reflects consensus.

This does not force Apple (or whoever) to support Theora — W3C
standards are voluntary standards — which means that it might not
erase interoperability issues (only implementations really do that
anyway) but it certainly speaks the community's voice in favour of Web
Video.

So let's just put it back in, and get back to finding a solution to
make it work.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/