Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On 7/3/09 10:14 AM, David Singer wrote:
>  I know, this sounds like "trust me", and you don't.  I'm sorry, I am
> doing the best I can, and I can only say I share your frustration.

I am sure you are doing the best you can. However, others are openly
patent trolling on this list, and that undermines your position a great
deal.

>> First of all putting theora as a baseline in the spec isn't forcing
>> anyone to do anything.
>
> How does a mandatory requirement to implement avoid force?  You baffle
> me.

Conformance with any part of the specification is voluntary. Obviously,
a codec that all clients and authors are satisfied with would be great.
However, the W3C process recognizes that unanimity is not always possible.

You have done a good job avoiding the pitfalls I list below,  but I will
list them so that others may help this discussion move forward in a
clear manner:

1) Refrain from framing unanimity as a requirement. It is not one.

2) Be clear about who you represent. Don't claim to relay private
feedback from "browser vendors". This is both courteous and required by
the W3C process.

- Rob