Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

Hi, Hixie-

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch
> <mailto:ian@hixie.ch>> wrote:
> (I've also received requests from browser vendors to not
> require WAVE support in the first place, though I have up to this
> point managed to convince them to keep WAVE support regardless.)

Now both Robert O'Callahan (Mozilla) and David Singer (Apple) have
questioned this decision not to include WAV/PCM.  While I'm not saying
they necessarily represent the official views of their companies, it
does seem to be at odds with the claim that browser vendors want you to
remove the audio codec; I doubt Microsoft or Opera has a problem with it
either.

Can you please cite the public source for these codec-removal requests?
  Who exactly has asked for this, and are you sure they speak for that
browser vendor?  I'm not at all convinced that you are reflecting the
will of the browser vendors on this, nor representing the interests of
authors or users.

> It hasn't really been necessary, browser vendors have historically
> implemented similar formats without the HTML spec having to get involved.
> I don't think that mandating formats actually affects what browsers
> implement, in practice. We can only mandate what they're already willing
> to implement anyway.

I hold HTML5 to a higher standard of precision than previous HTML specs,
and I know you have as well.  I think it is very ill-advised for you to
change your position now, especially on so crucial an issue as this.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs