Re: Who is the Intended Audience of the Markup Spec Proposal?

Hi Henri,

On Jan 30, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Thank you for sharing this with the WG. (Others in the WG may also
> be interested in the IRC discussion from yesterday logged at: http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/html-wg/20090129#l-116
>  )
>
> It bothers me that it wasn't stated up front that private feedback
> in general and from the W3C Team in particular was a major
> motivating factor behind "HTML 5: The Markup Language". (Or if this
> has been stated before, I haven't properly noticed it.)
>
> The HTML5 effort has been criticized for Hixie taking private
> feedback into account in his editing of "HTML 5". However, Hixie has
> at least readily disclosed that private feedback has motivated
> notable editing choices.
>
> Given the recent suggestion that the WG needs some ground rules for
> taking on new drafts, I'd like to suggest that one of the ground
> rules be that editors disclose to the WG when a draft or a section
> of a draft comes into existence in response to private feedback the
> whole group isn't seeing. (Of course, I'd prefer even more openness.)

As long as Ian Hickson is the editor of the main deliverable, I don't
think we're going to get more openness. He's made it clear that he
wants all decisions made within the confines of his own mind, with no
"others" undermining that process. As long as that is the modus
operandi for the WG, openness is the most inappropriate word
imaginable to describe the activities of this WG.

Take care,
Rob