Re: HTML is a declarative mark-up language

From: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:48:29 -0600
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Robert J Burns wrote:
>> I would add that even without the legacy baggage it makes a lot of
>> sense to continue to support <a> as a destination anchor. When an
>> author want to make a specific phrase available as a document
>> fragment that is not already wholly and completely enclosed within
>> an element, the author can either use a <span> element or a <a>
>> element. However, the HTML4.01 <a> element  is both more specific
>> (it is supposed to be an anchoródestination in this case) and more
>> compact than <span>. However, this is another case where HTML5
>> needlessly changes the meaning of an element in the HTML namespace
>> which creates namespace collisions and also removes a valuable
>> meaning of the element that authors had available in HTML5.
>
> I'm confused.  What exactly in HTML5 keeps you from using <a> as the
> element to wrap your fragment?

Nothing, but the discussion is over the prose definition of the
semantics of the <a> element.

> (Note that doing that might cause parsing issues depending on where
> it's inserted, but that's not new with HTML5; HTML5 just gives you
> the option of avoiding said issues by using <span>, as you point out.)

I'm not familiar with the parsing issues you're referring to here.
Also, the <span> element was also available in HTML 4 so HTML5 doesn't
introduce the option of a <span> element, that was already available
before. However, HTMl5 does narrow the semantics of the <a> element so
that while the UA processing would generally work, the use of the <a>
element I'm describing would be document non-conforming (though it was
document-conforming in HTML4).

Take care,
Rob