Re: HTML is a declarative mark-up language

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:21:07 +0100, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> FWIW, I'm sure those pages will be added. However, doing that before the
>> specification reaches Last Call (or maybe even Candidate Recommendation)
>> seems premature as changes will still be made relatively often. Then
>> again, maybe someone can figure out an easy way to do it automatically.
>
> This should be fairly easy if the source of HTML5 spec has properly
> marked up all element and attribute definitions. Is Ian directly editing
> HTML code of specification or is spec generated from some other more
> rich format like XMLSpec, DocBook or whatever?

The source format is HTML. Parts, such as the table of contents, are then
generated from that source. It is indeed quite trivial to extract element
and attribute names from the specification (see attachment). I think it
can be quite easily extended to also extract a simple sentence about what
the element is for. Not sure about attributes. (Though to fully cover
everything some parts will have to be edited by hand or the code needs
more special casing and maybe work on a tree rather than a line by line
hack.)

Note that http://simon.html5.org/html5-elements already keeps a list of
HTML5 elements and their attributes and has done that for a long time.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>