Re: HTML is a declarative mark-up language

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:58:09 +0000
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

I have never understood why <A> was called "Anchor"
in the first place; when teaching HTML, I invite
students to remember the "A" as being associated
with "Address" -- that is, the <A> element contains
the address of a resource to which a browser might
be directed.  In my opinion, it would be sufficient
to note that historically the <A> element was termed
an Anchor, and to link to (e.g.,) the HTML 4.01
definition thereof.

Philip TAYLOR