Re: outerHTML/insertAdjecentHTML in XML mode

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:58:08 +0000
To: Travis Leithead <Travis.Leithead@microsoft.com>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Travis Leithead wrote:
> Wow. I thought that insertAdjecentHTML was ready for deprecation.
>
>>> There's also the argument that if outerHTML/insertAdjecentHTML is
>>> popular enough that we're adding them to HTML [...]
>
> Is this purely conjecture, or is there any data to back this up?

Grepping for "insertAdjacentHTML" in 130K text/html pages (i.e. only
looking at inline scripts) finds 146 pages:
http://philip.html5.org/data/insertAdjacentHTML.txt

"outerHTML" is on 152: http://philip.html5.org/data/outerHTML.txt

So they're both used on about 0.1% of these pages.

(For comparison, "innerHTML" is on 5711 pages.)

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk