Re: Setting document.domain

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:34:18 +1100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, contact@publicsuffix.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> To determine which is the correct outcome for a domain candidate.domain,
>> the procedure is as follows:
>
> Does 2 also include cases like "uk"? For HTML5's document.domain, I need
> that case as well.

Yes. "uk" is a public suffix, "co.uk" is also a public suffix. So if
your candidate domain was "uk", you would get outcome 2, just like "co.uk".

In the case of document.domain, the idea would be that if setting
document.domain to /new value/, and matching against the PSL, if outcome
= 2, fail, if outcome = 3, succeed. I don't quite know what the rules
are for outcome = 1, but I'm sure you do :-)

> The only other comment would be that it is helpful if there are
> defined terms, so that there is no ambiguity when "linking" the specs
> (with a parallel drawn to linking code). In this case, the three (or four)
> items in the list could be given names, e.g. "no match", "public match",
> and "private match" (or whatever).

I will change to this style.

Gerv