Re: ACTION-95, ISSUE-65: Plan to publish a new WD of HTML-5

On Jan 28, 2009, at 8:49 AM, Murray Maloney wrote:

> At 05:00 AM 1/28/2009 -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> [...]
>> But if there are multiple documents that separately normatively
>> specify the same thing, then it is equally possible that they
>> disagree
>> and therefore at least one of the two is wrong. If one reference is
>> normative and the other is not, then it is at least clear which is
>> authoritative when they disagree.
>
> I like your logic and agree completely. Unfortunately, you left out
> a subsequent consequence, to wit: it remains unclear which is correct.
>
> Having to keep two documents synchrounously correct is certainly
> going to require some QA effort, but that will also yield a quality
> product.

That is a fair point. It's even possible for even a single document to
be incorrect; that is why specifications at times publish errata. And
indeed engaged implementors will often take planned corrections as
more authoritative than the standing specification text. But I think
normative text having some sort of drafting error or unexpected
consequence is a different kind of problem than a conflict between two
normative texts.

Regards,
Maciej