Re: ACTION-95, ISSUE-65: Plan to publish a new WD of HTML-5

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:20:15 -0800
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:21 AM, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> In order to gather data on  the veracity of statements about 'what web
> devlopers want' I have emailed the web standards group posing  the
> question
>
> "As a web developer do you find the 'HTML5 the mark up language' a
> useful document?"
>
> wsg mailing list archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/wsg@webstandardsgroup.org/maillist.html
>
> and have asked for feedback on twitter:
>
> Is HTML5 mark up spec http://shrinkster.com/13zy useful compared to
> the fullblown spec http://shrinkster.com/13zz use #html5ml in reply

Thank you for collecting information about this! However I think
weather these documents are useful or not is not the issue in
question. So far I don't think I've seen anyone say that the 'markup
spec' document is not useful.

The questions I have heard raised are:
1. If it should be normative or not, and
2. If web authors generally read specifications when creating HTML
documents, or if they generally read informative documents such as web
tutorials, books, or other peoples source code.

/ Jonas