Re: Moratorium on the spec-splitting discussion

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 3:58 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> I would be happy to see a structured discussion led by the chairs
>>
>> Let's test that assertion.
>>
>> The structured discussion that I would like to propose is that we
>> produce concrete specs, distribute those specs widely, identify
>> specific issues with those specs, and block progress of any and all
>> such drafts to the Proposed Recommendation stage until those issues
>> are disposed of one way or another.
>
> I'd like to ask for a clarification.

Thanks!

> Is this meant to imply that we
> would not block progress to any stage earlier than Proposed
> Recommendation, or do we still take a group decision at those other
> transitions?

No.  There are transitions that require consensus, and there are
transitions that do not.

I believe that previous attempts to apply standards of consensus to
transitions which are clearly documented as not requiring such, while
well intentioned, were misguided.

> In other words, are you proposing that advancement to FPWD,
> LC and CR should be essentially automatic?

No.

> Or was your "to" meant to be a "towards"?

I meant "to" to mean that specific transition.  I also meant "to" in a
non-exclusive manner.

> Regards,
> Maciej

- Sam Ruby