Re: Setting document.domain

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:48:45 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, contact@publicsuffix.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, James Graham wrote:
>> The algorithm in section 5.3.1 for setting document.domain does not
>> cover the fact that document.domain should also throw if it is set to a
>> registry controlled domain rather than one controlled by the registrant
>> (as determined by e.g. the list at [1], but I don't know if that should
>> be a normative reference or not).
>>
>> [1] http://publicsuffix.org/
>
> Fixed.

I think the remaining issue is that it is not clear what it means to
"match a suffix in the public suffix list". The public suffix list
itself does not define this but only has vauge notes about the expected
format; there seem to be implied rules like given an entry
a.b
Setting document.domain to b should fail, even if b is not listed
explicitly.

I think the algorithm for determining if a domain is in the public
suffix list should be specified in detail somewhere, although I guess
HTML 5 is likely not quite the right place since this may be used in
non-HTML contexts.