RE: Registering the about: URI scheme

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:29:39 -0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Joseph A Holsten <joseph@josephholsten.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
The process for registering a URI scheme is RFC 4395:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4395.html

Secton 5.2 gives a step-by-step process.

The process for registering a URI scheme does not require
an internet draft or an RFC, and doesn't require referenced
documents to be standards status. It's "expert
review". I think Graham Klyne is the current "expert".

I think any document with reasonably permanent access
guarantees (a  WD or even the Wikipedia entry for the
About_protocol) is sufficient for at least
provisional registration.

Larry