Re: Registering the about: URI scheme

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:53:11 +0100
To: "Joseph A Holsten" <joseph@josephholsten.com>, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:41:02 +0100, Joseph A Holsten
<joseph@josephholsten.com> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2009, at 7:38 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>> Opera: The address bar changes to "opera:config", but still returns
>>>        an error.
>>> Firefox: Says the URL is not valid.
>>
>> If "about" is to be considered to be an URI scheme, these are bugs.
>
> +1 but sadly, until this is published, these are just as informally
> specified features as everything else. Anyone else got an opinion?

FWIW, at least Opera does not return an error if you include such an
about: URL within <a href="...">...</a> which seems to indicate that the
address bar is special cased for one reason or another. Given that the
address bar is a UI feature, I'm not sure I'd consider it a bug if it does
not work there. (I have not checked other browsers though.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>