Re: Registering the about: URI scheme

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:26:18 +0100, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> The DOM is generated based on the content type, and for interoperability
> reasons this needs to be defined as text/html;charset=UTF-8.  It should
> go into the RFC, rather than HTML5, because ideally, all uses of
> about:blank will be handled the same in all applications.

I agree that the about: RFC should just state that about:blank represents
a text/html resource encoded as UTF-8, either stating it is the empty
string document or giving a sequence of bytes similar to
it, such an explicit sequence might be needed as current implementations
always have a <title> element there, no?

I do not think however that it needs to reference HTML5. There already is
a text/html RFC and it seems much easier to go ahead without depending on
HTML5 here. (Apart from perhaps making the security considerations more
clear, but that section is non-normative so you could reference it from
there in theory anyway.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>