Re: Who is the Intended Audience of the Markup Spec Proposal?

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
>>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/markup-spec/#audience
>
> Thanks.
>
> With this, I am happy to publish this working draft as a WD. However, I
> think it needs the following changes before progressing past WD:
>
>   - How to parse documents that are written using the syntax defined in
>     that document (needed for tools intended to conform to the
>     specification, since otherwise there's no way to know what the tools
>     are supposed to do).

Why would a *producer* want to know that?

>   - The DOM APIs and implementation rules for those APIs, since producers
>     of documents using the features in this specification need those APIs
>     to fully use those features.

Yes, there are elements that aren't going to be useful without
scripting. One way to resolve this is to remove them from the document,
an alternative would be to state that fact, and point to the other spec.

>   - Definition of the event model and task queue model for
>     implementations, since that will be needed to define the APIs
>     mentioned.
>
>   - The Window object, browsing contexts, and its related APIs, since that
>     will be needed to define the APIs mentioned.

See above.

> As it stands, the document is not appropriate for its intended audience.

Seems that some minor tuning of the "intended audience" statement is
needed then.

BR, Julian