Re: ISSUE-54: doctype-legacy-compat

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:20:16 +0100
To: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@ltgt.net>
CC: public-html <public-html@w3.org>

Thomas Broyer 2009-01-26 12.31:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> But yes, <!DOCTYPE html> fulfills the DOCTYPE syntax, so XML tools
> might very well allow you to output it too, whichever the
> serialization (XML or HTML).

Hence, it would be best to avoid mentioning a mark-up language in
the doctype, or else one could be lead to think that there is a
reason - e.g. something with the tools one uses - to prefer that
DOCTYPE. Better to lead people to use thoughts on what they should
use thoughts on, namely the DOCTYPE.

If SGML must be mentioned, then I'd propose  "about:x-sgml".
--
leif halvard sili