Re: "Video, Audio, and Media in HTML 5" (and outline/sketch of other author/developer ideas)

On 23 Jan 2009, at 22:06, Ben Millard wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Dan Connolly wrote:
>>> We have Ian's spec and Lachlan's guide and Mike's markup spec,
>>> but those all take an exhaustive-enumeration approach. I started
>>> outlining a successive elaboration guide to HTML 5, but I'm not
>>> sure "here's how you make a <p> TAG" is going to get much attention
>>> at this point, so I'm inclined to focus on something closer to
>>> the leading edge, i.e. video/audio/media.
>>
>> Do you intend to make this follow a cookbook approach, which
>> primarily
>> focuses on how to create specific kinds of content based on use
>> cases?
>> e.g. Like the following use cases:
>>
>> * How to publish a video or audio in a web page and create
>>  custom user interface for it.
>> * How to use canvas to draw a chart or create an interactive game.
>> * How to mark up photos with captions.
>> * etc.
>
> This "cookbook" approach was discussed during the meeting at W3C
> TPAC in Boston 2007. I thought this is what Lachlan's work was going
> to be. I was dissapointed to see it take a different, less
> approachable form.

The more I thought about trying to rewrite the introduction to
Lachlan's draft (per a minuted at TPAC2008 action), the more I tend to
agree with that. My eventual conclusion was that I might try and write
an entirely new counter-draft. Needless to say, time is limited, and I
have on the whole been working on other (more urgent and valuable)
things.

I'm more than happy to give my views on what direction an authoring
guide should take (which are shared and summed up in Ben's email of
which the start is quoted above), as well as helping to edit it (in
the real sense of editing — not drafting sections myself), as I have
enough time to try and do such in the short-term (as opposed to
writing my own counter-draft).

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>