Re: ISSUE-59: normative-language-reference FPWD

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:00:40 +0100
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Sam Ruby wrote:
> In yesterday's call, a number of issues were raised when the topic of
> making "HTML 5: The Markup Language" available First Public Working
> Draft.  A number of issues were raised during the discussion.  Whether
> these were merely issues to be worked or meet the criteria for a Formal
> Objections was less clear to me.
>
> To help facilitate and focus the discussion, a few links:
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/markup-spec/

I remain strongly opposed to publishing that document as a normative
document on the REC track, and I echo Hixie's question about intended
audience of the spec.  I have previously asked this question [1], to
which Mike responded [2].  However, it seems I forgot to respond. I will
do so shortly, and will elaborate on my reasons for objecting to its
normative status.

If this document is to be published at all, then pending clarification
of the intended audience and scope of the document, I have no objection
to it being published as an informative document intended to become a
W3C Note.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Nov/0313.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Nov/0328.html

--