Re: html sans html

From: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:30:52 +0000
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On 22.01.2009, at 00:07, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> I am pretty confident that IE6 didn't do this sort of thing, so I
>> fear
>> it is one of many of modern browsers' attempts to hobble my
>> quirk-infested ways of teaching subjects using technology when
>> chalk and
>> blackboards might be preferable. Does the spec address this and if so
>> whose browser is handling it correctly?
>
> Per HTML5, all but IE seem to be handling this correctly. Browsers
> that
> allowed the script to be aborted while the dialogs were up get extra
> credit.
>
> I don't understand IE's behavior... Is this an over-zealous popup
> blocker?

It's the fear of IE's Local Zone exploits. Pages opened form disk need
to have Mark of the Web to run without warnings:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537628(VS.85).aspx

Fortunately this behavior doesn't need to be specified in HTML5, as
other browsers don't have such policies, and MOTW causes nothing but
confusion.

--
regards, Kornel