Re: ISSUE-54: doctype-legacy-compat

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:22:40 -0500
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Philip TAYLOR <chaa006@gmail.com>

Le 20 janv. 2009 à 06:35, Philip TAYLOR a écrit :
> I therefore propose that the HTML 5 DOCTYPE should include,
> /at the very least/ the major (5) and minor (initially 0)
> elements of its version number.

Validators (or conformance checkers) are one thing.
But it would be better to have a table of tools and their behaviours
with regards to the DOCTYPE. So the question nails down.

1. Which are the tools which modify their behaviour according to a
versioned doctype?
2. Which issues will these tools have with no versioned doctype ?

# Browsers

   This is case is pretty much set and had been ad nauseam discussed.
   <!DOCTYPE html> triggers the standard mode.

# Authoring tools

# Converters

# Tidying tools

# Semantic parsers (if any)