Re: ACTION-78: Suggestion text for 1.5.4

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:27:16 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org

Re: ACTION-78: Suggestion text for 1.5.4

(1)  Is it safe to assume that no objects to the section's title, or
to the claim that the section is non-normative?

(2)  Are there any objections to the first (substantive) paragraph?

"""
This specification is independent of the various proprietary
application languages that various vendors provide, but is intended to
address many of the same problems.
"""

(3)  I agree that the later paragraph is out of place.  It might be
good in some other document -- even a charter -- but I'm not I'm not
sure what it adds to a technical spec.

The first sentence (or a variant) might be OK.  Specific comparisons
(such as appear in the rest of 1.5) would be good.

But I don't think a standard is the right place to evangelize.  (I
happen to agree with this particular evangelism; I just don't think
this is the right place for it.)

-jJ