cloneNode() and script execution

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:17:08 +0900
To: public-html@w3.org

Here is another issue for Ian to ponder while working on the script
execution stuff:

If you clone a script node and append the to the document, does it run?

Browsers differ:

cloneNode(true) - Opera no, Firefox no, Safari yes, IE fails
cloneNode(false) - Opera yes, Firefox no, Safari yes, IE fails

 From my naturally biased point of view I think Opera makes more sense - a
"deep" clone remembers that the script was already executed, a shallow
doesn't because it doesn't clone the script code. I think any use cases
one might think of for re-executing script clones are already much better
handled by putting the code inside a function and doing a simple function
call.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core JavaScript tester, Opera Software