Re: Placing elements in the HTML namespace

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Though for CSS purposes all three treat HTML as being in the (X)HTML
> namespace last time I checked.

Right.  Gecko has a concept of "html element" that is distinct from the
namespace, and this is used to force such elements to match CSS
selectors in the XHTML namespace.

However, there are two differences between XHTML and HTML in Gecko last
I checked (in 2005, but I don't think we've changed these):

1)  frames/iframes.  For XHTML we use the id attribute value as the
     window name, for HTML we use the name attribute value.  Should this
     be based on the document type instead?  Or something else?
2)  Serializing XML -- for XHTML we set shorthand attrs to be
     |foo="foo"| while for HTML we set them to just be |foo|.
     This only affects people calling the XML serializer on a DOM coming
     from text/html, but that sounds like something HTML5 wants to
     support.

-Boris