Placing elements in the HTML namespace

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:20:49 +0100
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

The requirement that UAs place all HTML elements in the HTML namespace
does not make sense for all classes of UA. For html5lib I plan to make
it optional whether HTML elements are assigned to the HTML namespace so
that people using APIs that have a significant namespace tax do not have
to pay that tax in the common case.

(I also think the reasoning in the spec about "easing the transition to
XHTML" is spurious because it implies such a transition is likely. It
would be better to invoke the DOM consistency principle here)