Re: Authoring Guide

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:49:19 +0100, Lachlan Hunt
> <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
>> Yes, either here on public-html or on public-html-comments.
>
> I've now read through large parts of the guide and have various comments
> ranging from complete paragraph rewrites to small typos, etc. I'd be
> most comfortable providing these comments through a diff of some sort,
> an SVN check-in, or something similar, instead of quoting and explaining
> a lot about each comment through e-mail.
>
> What method for improvements like this would you prefer?

A diff wouldn't be particularly useful for me at this stage because I've
made some fairly substantial changes to the structure of my local copy
that I'm yet to check in, and which won't be checked in till the
restructuring is largely complete.

I wouldn't worry too much about minor typos at this stage, especially if
they're likely to get picked up by a spell checker.

If you've have suggestions for substantial rewrites of paragraphs, then
I just need the section title and current section number for the
appropriate section, and a copy of the paragraphs to insert.  I should
then be able to work out roughly where it should go and I can work it in.

>>> And what will be the relationship between the HTML5 specification and
>>> the authoring guide?
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand the question.  Could you please elaborate?
>
> There's obviously a one-way relationship from the authoring guide to the
> HTML5 specification, but as I mention in the following paragraph, I'd
> like the relationship to be two-ways.

OK, that makes sense.  I'm not sure what the relationship will be from
the spec to the guide, though I expect there will at least be a link to
it near the top.  It may also be reasonable to provide reciprocal links
from the element descriptions in the spec to the descriptions in the
guide, and vice versa.  But the exact details of this can be sorted out
once the guide is a little more mature and published as a FPWD.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/