Named character references

From: Maurice <maurice@thymeonline.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:49:13 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org

This reminds me of a question I have.

Why do some browsers interpret both  &sect; and &sec (no semicolon) as
 ?

I had a horrible issue recently where I needed to use the url
content.php?cmd=update&sect=homepage&id=33
But my server was being sent from the browser (firefox) the string ?
cmd=update=homepage&id=33
which of course meant that my application failed miserably.

Are browsers supposed to interpret named entities even when they don't
end with semicolon?

On Jan 2, at 1:55 PM, Robert J Burns wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just by coincidence I was looking for the named character reference
> &pi; in the current draft[1]. While &Pi; is there pointing to U
> +03A0, &pi; pointing to U+03C0 is not there. I didn't check every
> other case difference named character references, but this and
> others are missing. Is this just an errant omission or is there some
> reason that these references have been omitted?
>
> Take care,
> Rob
>

> [1]: <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#named-character-references

::   thyme online ltd
::   po box ap 59223-317  nassau,  the bahamas
::   website: http://www.thymeonline.com/
::   tel: +1 242 677-5733