Re: ISSUE-54: doctype-legacy-compat

From: Shawn Medero <shawn@db79.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:21:04 -0800
To: public-html@w3.org

An issue raised with using <!doctype html public ""> was that it might
trigger quirks mode in some browsers.

Using the test Philip put together here:
http://philip.html5.org/data/doctypes.html

I get the following results (using whatever browsers I had lying
around, feel free to follow along at home):

* Google Chrome 1.0 - non-quirks
* Firefox 3.1 - non-quirks
* Internet Explorer 6 - limited-quirks
* Internet Explorer 7 - limited-quirks
* Internet Explorer 8 beta 2 - non-quirks
* Opera 9.63 - non-quirks
* Opera 10 alpha - non-quirks
* MobileSafari 3 - non-quriks
* Safari 3.2.1 - non-quirks
* Safari 4 (developer preview 2) - non-quirks

Assuming Philip's test is valid -- IE 6 & 7 do not trigger standards
mode using this doctype string.

Also, I'm not sure if there any major libraries/tools that would balk
at generating and empty public identifier... might be a non-issue?

----
Shawn Medero