Re: Write-up about semantics in HTML5 from A List Apart

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > I'd prefer extensibility also to address future problem (at least to
> > > try that), otherwise it's really a poor kind extensibility :-)
> >
> > We can't possibly design an extension mechanism to address use cases,
> > requirements, and problems that we know nothing about.
>
> Well, I disagree.
>
> It works just fine in other areas.

Designing an extension mechanism for a problem you know nothing about is
just guesswork. You're far better off just waiting til you know about the
problem and then fixing it directly. The cost of guessing incorrectly is
that the language ends up with seriously complicated misfeatures that one
can never get rid of that are effectively vestigial.

> But in XML based languages you can extend the vocabulary, and this you
> can't in HTML. At least not the way it's currently defined.

Can you name a single unilateral extension to the HTML element vocabulary
that was a positive step forward in the development of HTML? HTML is
almost 20 years old now, and (despite this being non-conforming) it has
had its element name vocabulary unilaterally extended many times. If being
able to do this was ever going to be a good thing, we'd have seen it by
now. Have we?