Re: Write-up about semantics in HTML5 from A List Apart

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:59:39 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org
CC: john@westciv.com

Since there's no sane way to comment on that article without
registration, I'd just like to point out that the author basically
proposes using the <input type=""> model for everything.  This runs into
serious issues with DOM APIs.  For example, if a @structure can be
tossed on to any element, and having structur="header" implies some sort
of DOM API (e.g. getting the heading level), then all HTML elements have
to expose this DOM API.  This leads to all sorts of methods and
properties floating around that at best do nothing most of the time
until some magic attributes are set.

It also means that implementation is complicated because semantics can
change on the fly via setAttribute.  I view this as highly undesirable.

-Boris